Monday, July 11, 2011

Cloth Diaper Review: Prefolds and Covers

Alright so as promised here is my first review of my cloth diapers!

We struggled with finding an option for Faye's newborn stage since we wanted to minimize the amount of time we used disposables. After doing some research I stumbled upon prefolds and diaper covers and it seemed like the best option to get us through until she started fitting into her one size pocket diapers. I bought 2 dozen diapers and 6 covers and this has served us pretty well and we haven't had a day where we ran out of diapers to use.

My impression: Shoot me. I *hate* these things and if I could do it over again I'd find something else. Some moms really love this system and that's great for them but these things make me want to rip my hair out some days. They seem simple enough - do a quick fold and wrap your baby up in it with a snappie and then throw a cover over the whole thing. That's all well and good until you factor in a wiggly baby who hates diaper changes. Seriously, you'd think that changing a diaper was a form of torture with the way Faye goes on about it.

We use the Bummi's premie size prefolds which works well for little babies like Faye. We have two different types of covers - four are Bummi's and the other two are Thirsties. The Bummi's newborn size covers are the perfect size for small baby like Faye and they fit really well. The Thirsties XS size on the other hand was a lot bigger than I anticipated and didn't really fit right until recently but now when I have to pull a prefold out it's the cover I reach for because the others are getting a little too tight around her legs.

Pros: Cheap option to start out with, best fit for a newborn
Cons: Pain in the a** to use on a wiggly baby, takes longer to change especially in the middle of the night.

Overall: These are okay and if I was in a bind financially this is what we'd use exclusively.

No comments:

Post a Comment