Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Why We Use Cloth

My husband and I decided while I was pregnant that we would use cloth diapers for Faye for a few reasons.

1.) Cost - Despite the initial start-up cost we would save a ton of money. The average spent on diapers for a baby in their first 2 years of life is around $1600 - that's a lot of dough to just throw away. I haven't added it up personally but I wager I've spent less than $500 on diapers. I have some on order now to finish out my stash but after that I don't expect to need to buy any more and I'll be able to use them until Faye is out of diapers. So $500 or $1600? What do YOU think?

2.) Health - When you start thinking about what is in a disposable you quickly realize how utterly gross and scary it is to put that up against your baby's skin. There are so many chemicals in disposables that the more I thought about it the more uncomfortable I was with putting it on my little lady's lady bits. I also read about severe diaper rash and chemical burns connected with a certain disposable brand after they 'improved' their diapers. With cloth diapers I know exactly what is going next to my daughters skin everyday and I don't have to worry if my chosen brand has decided to change something that could have a negative effect on her skin. Also diaper rashes are much less likely with cloth diapers and thus far Faye has only had 1 rash and that was while we were using disposables in her first 2 weeks of life.

3.) Cute factor - let's face it there is nothing more adorable than a fluffy bottom. There are so many options out there and I have seen a number of diapers that I want to buy based on cuteness alone.

I'm really glad that we decided to use cloth and that Mark is on board with it. Of course Mark is cool with pretty much anything I want to do as long as it saves us money.

As I get more experience using a particular brand of diaper I will post reviews and if I recommend them or not. Stay tuned for my first review: Prefolds and diaper covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment